11.12.2007

Say Thank You...


Yesterday I made one of the most important phone calls I ever make on a yearly basis. Every year on Veteran's Day (which was yesterday and is being "observed" today) I call my Papa to say two simple, yet very much needed to be said words: Thank You. My grandfather was a "lifetime" military man serving 20 years in the United States Army. He served his country faithfully and with pride and integrity in both the Korean and Vietnam Wars. He didn't serve for medals or for recognition, but for the love of his country. He and my grandmother made sacrifices so that He could serve, including living literally all over the world and raising their son (my dad) in an environment where moving across the globe was a literal reality. And I am so thankful for men and women like my grandfather. It was his sacrifice and bravery that paved the way for the freedom's I enjoy...A few years ago I was in Philadelphia with a couple of my students and we walked by one of the city's War Memorails that pays tribute to those who've served our country...The memorial had these words: "To those who've fought to defend it freedom has a taste that the protected will never know." I believe that is true. And I am thankful for men like my grandfather, and my friend Rodney Thomas, my cousin Thomas, my brothers-in-law, Jason and Jerry, and fraternity brother Gibby who all have served or are currently serving...Thank you just doesn't seem like enough...But it is the very least we can do...If you know a veteran or someone currently serving our great nation, take the time today to say thank you...

No comments: