2.06.2007

The Weekend Update...

Our weekend was extremely busy this time around and consisted mainly of sports, so I really can't complain. On Saturday, our church had it's annual "Chili Bowl." It is a student versus adult flag football game that we play each year. The game was a lot of fun and so was the fellowship. After the game we all went to the church and ate chili, as the men of the church were having a chili cook-off in conjunction with the game. Sunday was our big Super Bowl party. We went over to some of our students' house and watched the game together. Although I wasn't really pulling for one team or the other, I thought that the Bears had a good shot at winning. Great defense and a solid running game usually mean victory but the Colts did a great job in winning the game.

Yesterday was back to the office. What I was hoping would be the highlight of my Monday turned into a not-so-high-light as the Texas Longhorns failed to upset the Aggies on Big Monday on ESPN. If only the game had been 35 minutes long, we had a chance...

The quote of the weekend this weekend takes a little different twist. I have been super impressed with both Tony Dungee and Lovie Smith, as football coaches and as men of faith. Neither man comes off "preachy" or fake when talking about their belife in Christ. In each one, I feel that I can see a sense of authenticity and compassion as they share their beliefs on the public stage given them as Super Bowl coaches. In fact, I ran across a cool website dedicated to the faith of the men called beyondtheultimate.org. Check it out when you have a chance. But for the quote of the weekend, I will paraphrase what Tony Dungee said in his speech following the Colts victory at Super Bowl XLI. Here are his words, paraphrased:

"A lot has been made of Lovie and I being the first two black coaches to coach in the Super Bowl. We are also two men of faith who believe in Christ, and to me, that is even more important."

Wow. Talk about capturing the moment to use your influence...

No comments: