2.12.2007

The Weekend Update...

Spent this weekend with the students and adults of First Baptist Church Georgetown. Johanna and I were both leaders for their annual Disciple Now weekend. Their youth minister, Brett, is a great friend and someone who I admire so much for the excellence and professionalism he brings to student ministry. I can seldom remember a conversation that I have had with Brett where I have not left the conversation having learned something...about students, about ministry, about myself. For that to happen consistently is rare and Brett really is, in my opinion, one of the top, if not the very top, student pastor that I know. Having said that, Brett and I almost parted ways in our friendship this weekend. I was set to lead a group of 12th grade guys in Bible studies and discussions all weeekend. I had prepared for it and was ready to go. Arriving at Georgetown on Thursday evening, Brett informs me of a change in the groups. He had mis-aligned some of his leaders and homes and I was going to be changed to leading 11th grade...girls. There go all the illustrations about football, fights, and farts. And this isn't the first time Brett has pulled a switch on me like that...But after coming to grips with it, all was good. I got to lead a great group of young ladies and we really had a great weekend. Johanna and I both had the privilege of being involved in the lives of some great students and an outstanding youth ministry. Overall, a great weekend.

This week will be super busy for us. Our own church's Disciple Now is this weekend and we are in full-fledged last minute preparations mode. If you are one who prays, pray for us this week and this weekend. Pray for our students, that God would do a great work in their hearts and lives. And pray for our ministry and our church, that God would use this weekend to bring genuine, authentic revival into the lives of His people. Hope your weekend was as rewarding as mine...

No comments: