2.20.2007

The Weekend Update...Immersed...

This weekend was our Disciple Now weekend here at our church for our students. It's basically a weekend where students come together for fun, fellowship, friends, and faith. The theme of the weekend was "Immerse" and it came from 1 Timothy 4:12-16 in the Message Bible where Paul challenges Timothy to immerse himself in following Christ. That is the challenge we provided to our students this weekend: to forget about religion, rules, and some "God-checklist" that they have made up and to plunge completely and totally into an authentic, intimate relationship with Jesus. And I think some of them actually got it. It's good to see all the work that so many people did to make the weekend happen pay off in kingdom terms. We got to see the coolest thing that anyone could possibly imagine: We saw life-change. And that is why I do what I do. That is why other adults drove several hours to come and minister to our students. We asked God to show up and he did...And because of that students' lives will never be the same. I believe that the kingdom of God will look different when we get there because of this weekend. I know it will.

Two things that really made my weekend on top of all the other awesome things and seeing God move in the lives of students. First of all, all of my leaders were former students of mine. It is such a blessing and so rewarding to see the ministry that you poured into students be something that they caught and are continuing themselves. That is the model of what healthy, good student ministry should be. The second great thing was Lindsey Kane. She was our worship leader for the weekend and although I knew Lindsey before this weekend, I had never had the privilege of seeing her lead as a worship leader with students. One word about her music and her ability to lead worship: Amazing. If you haven't heard her check her out at lindseykane.com or on hit up her myspace music page. Fantastic stuff and I could not say enough about how real and authentic she is.

As far as my quote of the weekend goes, there were dozens of funny and side-splitting comments made throughout the weekend as we hung out together. But I think I'll choose Dylan's statement on Sunday morning as the one quote that summed up what we as believers should be about and what this weekend was all about. Dylan is one of our 7th graders who God really spoke to this weekend. Here are his words: "Caleb invited me to church and I started hanging out with him and Brooks. And then Brooks started talking to me about how I talked and acted. Then they got me to come this weekend and God showed me that I needed to be saved so I asked him to be my Savior this weekend." That is what it is all about.

No comments: