1.31.2008

Examining My Feet...

I love the spring and summer because I believe that my feet were born to be free...One of the best things about spring and summer is that I can wear flip-flops every day. It's the best. But I always hate the first few weeks of flip flop wearing because my feet are ghostly white due to the fact that they've been hidden by those dreaded shoes...It usually takes a couple weeks for my feet to catch up with the tan of the rest of my body...I know you might think this is a bit random, but I have a point.

I've spent a lot of time these past couple weeks examining my feet. I've also spent some time examining the feet of those around me - especially those who would call themselves part of the body of Christ here in our local community...Paul, who wrote a lot of the New Testament, wrote a letter to the church in Rome and he talked about feet. Here is what he said:

For “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” But how can they call on him to save them unless they believe in him? And how can they believe in him if they have never heard about him? And how can they hear about him unless someone tells them? And how will anyone go and tell them without being sent? That is why the Scriptures say, “How beautiful are the feet of messengers who bring good news!”

As I examine my feet, I want them to be more beautiful. But the kind of beauty I desire cannot be gained through a pedicure or a trip to the spa. This beauty is gained through obedience, love, and passion. When God examines my feet, I want him to be glorified by their beauty. I want my feet to be beautiful because I have been faithful to be someone who tells the Good News. When I look at my cirlce of influence, my neighbors, my family, and my friends, I see numerous people who need to hear. And when I look at my feet and the feet of those I walk with in this thing called following Jesus, I see a lot of feet that could be made a lot more beautiful...

What about your feet? Are they adorned in the beauty of the Good News? I'll be breaking out the sandals and flops pretty soon and I really don't want to be the one with ugly feet...

No comments: