2.12.2008

The Weekend Update...

Johanna and I spent Thursday evening through Sunday in Georgetown as Disciple Now Leaders at FBC Georgetown. My good friend Brett Levy is the Youth Pastor there. I spent the weekend playing cards until 3:00 AM, getting shot with paintballs, and loving on some teenagers...It was a great weekend and we had a blast, but I am exhausted from the lack of sleep. I love these weekend events, but there are times - like yesterday and today - that I feel way to old to be hanging out with students all weekend long...But when you see the end results of a weekend like that - students lives being changed by the love and grace of Christ - you know it's worth it!

One of the cool things about this Disciple Now is that Brett uses several of my former students as leaders. It is incredible to see these students that we poured so much into when they were teenagers using their lives to serve the kingdom...I believe that far too often our students graduate from our student ministries and also graduate from God...I'm thankful that we have a number of students who've left our youth ministry days and are now using their lives to love God and love people...They understand that church is not a building or a program, but a lifestyle and a people.

So not only did we get to spend the weekend loving students and sharing God's love with them, but it was also a family reunion of sorts...It's always a blast to get together with these former students and sharing life again...I even think that's what the New Testament leaders had in mind as they started this thing called church...

No comments: