12.17.2008

Overheard Over The Weekend...

I never got around to posting a Weekend Update on Monday so I thought I'd share some brief things that I heard this weekend that made me laugh, made me think, and challenged me to grow.

The first one was from my incredible wife, Johanna. We spent most of the day Friday playing various board games like Scattergories and Trivial Pursuit: Pop Culture Edition. Scattergories is a game where you are given a letter and several categories. Your job is to come up with a word that begins with the letter you're given and fits the categories you have. The letter was "N" and one of the categories was "Things You Find On A Map." I put "Nicauragua." Johanna put "notes." Then she had the nerve to challenge my answer. Her arguement: You can't find Nicauragua on every map. My reply: Well, there aren't notes on all maps either. She argued that there were and then she said this: "Yes there are! There are notes on all treasure maps." Seriously babe? A treasure map? At that point, even I was left speechless. But I will say this: I absolutely treasure my wife simply because we can laugh together...and occassionally at each other.

The second thing overhead this weekend came from our Lead Pastor, Cole Phillips. After a great night at our Christmas party, he was thanking us as a staff for what we do and he said this: "And this coming year, we're going to continue to do whatever it takes to reach those who are far from God...because that is what we are all about...and really, that is what Christmas is all about." Reaching those far from God really is what Christmas is all about.

And finally Perry Noble, pastor of Newspring Church, shared this in his sermon this weekend: "Jesus isn't the reason for the season. He's the reason for life."

No comments: