1.04.2007

What I'm Reading These Days...

Radical Reformission by Mark Driscoll
I just started this book and so far it has been very good. The author is the founding pastor of Mars Hill Church in Seatlle and founder of the Acts 29 Church planting network. A lot of my heart right now is in the church plant/emerging church movement. The subtitle of the book is "Reaching Out Without Selling Out." As I gather so far, it is about radically refomring the way we see our mission and understanding that we are called to take the gospel of Christ not just to the nations, but also across the street.

My Prison Without Bars by Pete Rose
I just finished reading this autobiography by Pete Rose. I really enjoyed it and it was nice to read something "light" and not filled with the spiritual or church related concepts that are in much of what I read. While I hate that Pete Rose tainted the game with his gambling addiction, I think his punishment has been a little harsh by baseball and that he should be in the Hall. This book hits a lot of baseball history even as far back as when Rose was growing up as a kid so its a good read for you baseball and sports fans.

Contemplative Youth Ministry by Mark Yaconelli
I have also just started reading this one a few weeks ago. While its good, I
think it will probably take a backseat to the Driscoll book. This one is all about how we need to form student ministries that practice the presence of Jesus. I am one of those youth ministers who believe that the "circus" that we have so often created to draw kids in has had a very negative impact on the gospel of Christ working in students' lives so I am interested to see Mark Yaconelli's take on this subject.

No comments: