1.03.2007

Christmas and The New Year

Well, it has been a while since I have posted. A big reason is because I have not had internet at our house since we moved and then we were at my parents during the week of Christmas, and while they do have the 'net, I just wasn't up to logging onto anything through dial-up. I guess that patience thing still isn't working...Anyway, my Christmas holdiay was absolutely incredible and I hope your's was as well. Here are some highlights of the last couple weeks.

I hit the Christmas gift jackpot this year. Really, it was incredible. Johanna got me a gift card for a new rifle. It was cool because I opened up my gift and there was a toy cap shot-gun in the box and I really didn't know what was going on. Then she told me to turn it over and the gift card was on the back. I am super excited about going to get it and going shooting with the guys. She also got me a sweet Homer Simpson clock (I am a huge Simpson's fan) and a scope for my gun. Then on Christmas day, Johanna teamed up with my parents and they all got me an XBOX 360. I am totally thrilled about that gift as well. My brother has one and we are looking forward to playing on XBOX live and talking a little trash like old times. Last weekend he and his wife were at our house and we got a head start on some of our rivalries, which ended in me crushing him in Madden 07 and then him turning around and returning the favor in NBA Live. He and Christie also gave me some great gifts. I got a Sony Vega flat screen TV from them and the Madden 07 game for the 360. As I said earlier, I hit the jackpot...

However, as incredible and cool as all those gifts are and as much fun as I will definitely have with them, that was not the greatest thing about my holiday. The greatest thing about the Christmas holiday was who I got to spend it with. From time to time you will hear me say that, while life is amazingly grand in and of itself, it's joys and experiences are just multiplied when you get to share them within the context of a wonderful marriage. I love the holidays now that I get to spend them with Johanna. It just makes them so much better. It makes the joy multiplied and the happiness increased. And we got to spend some time with our families, which is always great. I love being at home and I love just being at a place where I can be me...People from home know me as Nic, not Nic the youth minister, or Nic the guy who works at a church, or Nic, the guy who preaches and teaches the Bible...To them, I am just another kid who they've watched grow up. I'm just like everybody else and there are no preconceived notions and concepts that I have to live up to. And sometimes it is refreshing to know that the people you're around have seen you at your best and at your worst and they love you at both ends of the spectrum. The holiday season for me was great this year, as last, because of whom I shared it with. I hope that you can feel the same about yours...

On a totally new subject - Just a note about our New Year's - We spend New Year's Eve with our students and some youth workers from our church at Main Event in Austin. Main Event is a family fun center that has bowling, laser tag, putt-putt golf, rock climbing, arcade games, and a lot more. It was a great time to just have fun and fellowship together. New Year's day consisted of watching bowl games, which was great. I will try and post a couple Christmas pics later today or tomorrow, but until then, have a good one...

No comments: