4.02.2007

The Weekend Update...

This weekend, while pretty normal and uneventful, did have a couple exciting moments. I spent most of Friday just doing stuff around the house with Curry. We cleaned out the garage and did some other stuff that has needed to be done for far too long. Then on Friday night, Johanna and I went out on a date to dinner and a movie in San Marcos. This was by far the highlight of the weekend for a number of reasons. First of all, we had a blast just spending the evening together. It is such a joy to be married to your best friend and someone who you really, truly love experiencing life with. Secondly, the movie we saw, "Reign Over Me," was great. I highly recommend it but go in knowing that the language is strong and their is one recurring theme that is a little on the touchy side. Johanna thought it was pretty good, but she said it had a couple slow moments, but I thought it was a great flick...You be the judge. Finally, to cap off the night of excitement, we were leaving the movie theater and as we are pulling out down one of the side roads that lead to the theater we notice about 20 hispanic kids running across the street in front of us. As we pass, we look back to see them beating the tar out of one kid. They were kicking him and beating him up pretty good. I bust a u-turn to go back, not really sure what I was going to do now that I think about it, but as we pull up so does another car with a couple of guys who are probably early 20s. About six of the kids that were doing the beat down jump in the car with them and they bust out across the street to the Lowe's parking lot. The rest of the kids run over to Lowe's as well and the kid who was getting beat up runs off. Well, we decided to follow this "gang" of kids over to Lowe's and I call 911 to report all this. I guess the car sees that we are trying to follow him and they take off. So I am booking it through the Lowe's parking lot and then through the side streets in San Marcos while I am on the phone with the 911 dispatcher giving her a play by play, turn by turn breakdown of where we are, so that she can realy it to the cops. I will take a brief pause from the story here to let all of you know that one of my favorite shows of ALL TIME is COPS. I love it and still today will watch re-run after re-run. So as I am chasing after this guy I am sure I heard the cops theme song in the background..."Bad boys, bad boys, watcha gonna' do? Watcha' gonna' do when they come for you?"...Also, as I am talking to the dispatcher it was like a scene straight out of the show. I am saying stuff like "we are pursuing the car eastbound on Wonderworld Drive. We just took a left and are now heading northbound on Lean St." The lady probably is looking to recruit me for the SMPD I did such a good job. However, the car eventually went down a street in front of traffic and I could not make the turn and he lost me in the midst of a bunch of apartment complexes. As we turned around, the cops past and we gave them the update and the sped off to continue the chase...I wonder if you can call and get an update on the outcome of your 911 calls?

Saturday was not near as exciting as we mostly just did stuff around the house. I painted some mirrors for Johanna and we watched some Final Four basketball in the evening. Yesterday consisted of the typical Sunday. Church in the morning and small groups in the evening. Got a busy week ahead but I have been pondering some stuff for a few days now that I am going to try and post about...Stay tuned.

2 comments:

JMob said...

great story dude...had you caught them i think a citizen's arrest would've been in order!

Brett said...

http://www.youthspecialties.com/yaconelli/words/wordsfrommike.php

was looking for a mike yaconelli quote, came across this, and thought of you...