10.18.2007

Joe Says No...



When it comes to baseball I am a HUGE Yankees fan. I love the yankees and I bleed pinstripes and Yankee blue. I have been a Yankees fan since I was a little league baseball player, when I began playing baseball and played first base. My baseball hero since I was in elementery was Don Mattingly...It's only natural that a 7 year old kid who loved the Yankees and played 1st base would be a Mattingly fan...I have SI issues that cover Mattingly's carreer and almost every baseball card with his face on it...

That being said, I am in mourning today. I love Joe Torre. I had a conversation with a stranger I met at a hospital this morning about what an incredible man and manager Torre is (the guy saw me wearing my Yankee hat in the waiting room and struck up the conversation...he's a fan too). I think that, while Torre did have the biggest payroll in baseball, he still did the absolute best job of managing a team of anyone in the MLB. So today Steinbrennner's ego reigns again. Once again Steinbrenner's insane power trips and rants hurt the team...And for a few hours I will swear off the Yankees in my mourning and in my frustration...And, just maybe, in a few weeks I will be over the frustration and pain caused by US losing OUR manager...There may be some guys in the league as good and as solid as Torre, but there are none better...Some may be close to his caliber, but there aren't any above it...In the columns of wins and losees, my Yankees lost today...and it was a BIG loss...

No comments: