12.26.2007

Christmas Come and Gone...

The past few days have been full of Christmas memories and family time...We drove from Houston on Sunday after church and got to Stephenville late that evening...Jo and I then spent Christmas eve and Christmas with my family - my mom and dad, grandparents, and my brother and sister-in-law. We had Christmas lunch with my mom's family on Christmas eve...She has a really big family so we all just met at Cotton Patch and ate together. Then we spent Christmas eve with my dad's parents...It's been a restful, peaceful, good several days...Today Johanna, myself, and my mom headed to DFW to spend some of our Christmas gift cards...Bought some new books (of course!)...I bought a book by Erwin McManus called Soul Cravings that I am excited about getting into...

Since this past weekend I have had a song stuck in my head (and in my heart)...I really don't think I've ever been fond of the song until lately...I am not a "hymn" guy so this has really been weird to have these lyrics stuck in my head...But I think that the lyrics sum up for me what the Christmas season is all about...Especially the first few lines...I've hummed and sung them over and over the past several days...My prayer is that I will live them out and model them for others over and over for the days to come...Here are the lyrics...The song was written in the 1700s by a guy named Charles Wesley and is titled "Come Thou Long Expected Jesus." I hope it challenges you in the same way it's challenging me...

Come, Thou long expected Jesus
Born to set Thy people free;
From our fears and sins release us,
Let us find our rest in Thee.
Israel's strength and consolation,
Hope of all the earth Thou art;
Dear desire of every nation,
Joy of every longing heart.

Born Thy people to deliver,
Born a child and yet a King,
Born to reign in us forever,
Now Thy gracious kingdom bring.
By Thine own eternal Spirit
Rule in all our hearts alone;
By Thine all sufficient merit,
Raise us to Thy glorious throne.

No comments: