Seth Godin: Tribes
- In today's society, people ask two questions: Whose going to be there? Whose going to lead us?
- A tribe is a group of people, self-selected, usually with a leader, who come together with a purpose. A crowd does not equal a tribe.
- The more powerful the connection, the more people will buy in.
- Do something you might get criticized for.
- We need to become heretics. A heretic is someone whose faith is so deep that they are willing to take on the status quo.
- Leading is not choice. It is an obligation. It's using the leverage that's been given to you.
Craig Groeschel: Finding It When You've Lost It
- This session was another one of my favorites. Some very stretching stuff!
- The "It" is the something special of God that He does in and through someone or something.
- We lose "it" when we focus on building "my" church, instead of His church.
- If you lose "it" you have to do something drastic to get it back.
- We ought to pray 3 prayers: God stretch me. God heal me. God ruin me.
- Our heart should break for the things that break the heart of God.
Tim Sanders: Saving The World at Work
- You create abundance by giving. Scarcity is solved by love.
- That which you learn on Sunday makes you a rockstar on Monday. You have to take your values to work.
- We need each other in order to be successful.
- When you show someone love, even the people who only observe that act are changed.
- Leaders guage reality and they give hope.
- If not you, then who? If not now, then when?
Dave Ramsey: The Enemies of Unity
- There are five enemies of unity: poor communication, gossip, unresolved disagreements, lack of a shared purpose, and sanctioned incompetence.
- You have to create communication.
- Gossip is when a negative is discussed with anyone who can't help solve the problem.
- Leaders must have a backbone!
- An indecisive leader is by definition not a leader.
- If you're gonna' put a fish on the back of this thing, you better drive it right! If it's "Christian" then it better have an extreme level of excellence!
I'll have one more post recapping Catalyst. It includes some thoughts from the final few speakers and a brief recap of my first Catalyst experience. Stay tuned...