5.15.2013

4 Steps To Making A Difficult Decision


One thing is true about every single one of us: We all have to make difficult decisions from time to time.  The simple decisions come easy for most of us.  Things like what we're going to wear for the day, how we'll spend our weekend, and if we want fries with that.

But what about the tough decisions? What about life's difficult situations? How to we move forward and choose between what seems to be two great options?

Here are four steps I believe can help bring wisdom into the decisions we make:

1. Pray About It. Seems like the total church answer, right?  But there really is power in prayer. Spend some time praying to God and asking for His guidance. Then do something totally radical:  Listen.

I took my troubles to the Lord; I cried out to Him, and He answered my prayer. Psalm 120:1

2. Search God's Word. What does the Bible say about the decision I am making? Is there clear instruction in the Scripture that would guide me to one choice or away from a certain option?

Your word is a lamp to guide my feet, and a light for my path. Psalm 119:105

3. Seek Wise Counsel. Get the advice of godly people whom you trust have your best in mind. Talk with them about the pros and cons of your decision and ask for their input and wisdom.

Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed. Proverbs 15:22

4. Pull The Trigger. Eventually you have to embrace the motto of Nike, the shoe company and JUST DO IT.  Go for it. Pray about it, consult God's Word, seek counsel from others and then trust God and go for it.  Make the decision.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take. Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments: