2.28.2008

Practicing What I Preach...

Last night I practiced what I preach. And at times that is a lot harder than you might imagine...I constantly share with our students and our adults that our priorities in life should be this:

1. God
2. Family
3. Ministry
4. Other Stuff

That's really easy to tell other people. It's a lot harder to live out...And to be honest, there are times where I don't do a very good job of it.

But last night wasn't one of those times. I took the evening off from our mid-week student gathering. Wednesday nights are our biggest weekly event and the one night where I usually lead and teach. But last night I left a great group of our adult and student volunteers in charge and put my family first.

For Valentine's Day I gave Johanna tickets to the Michael Buble concert in Austin that was last night. Going into the concert I admit that I wasn't a fan (more on that later). In fact, I was a bit synical...But it was something I knew my wife would LOVE and so it was of the utmost importance to me.

So last night I put into practice the things I preach. My family is far more important to me than my ministry. Period. Even though I might struggle with my time management in this area at times, my family is first. If I am not the Christian husband that Christ has called me to be, then my ministry is in vain...And I think it is a great lesson for our students to see me live out those values. Plus, I got to see a pretty sweet concert with the love of my life...Ya' can't beat that!

No comments: