3.10.2009

And The Name Is (Drumroll)...

It's been far too long since I last posted some thoughts on this blog. I could say it's been crazy, because it has. I could say it's been busy, because it has. I could say I've been traveling and off my normal schedule, because I have...but who isn't crazy and busy and off of their normal schedules these days. So I'll say to all my avid readers (mom) that I'm trying to get my blogging groove back.

But now for the real reason of this post: Johanna and I have FINALLY picked a name for our son. Actually, I have finally picked a name. We had narrowed it down to two names for months and Jo was cool with either one. I just couldn't decide. Naming a child is a BIG DEAL in my mind. I want to get this right. So I see-sawed back and forth. I prayed about it...a lot. I did all the name tests: I did the "banana fanna fo fanna" test. I checked to make sure Jo hadn't dated anyone with that name. I made sure it didn't rhyme with any vulgar language or form an acronym with the initials that was vulgar. I even checked it out with my mom, whose an elementary secretary, to see if she had any hellions by the name.

After all the fretting and praying and testing, it boiled down to this: honor. A name ought to be a thing that brings honor. My dad always told us growing up to remember whose name we carried. My hero and best friend in life is my Papa. He's my superman. He's who I've looked up to my entire life. His middle name is Russell and so to honor him, my son's middle name will be Russell also. A name ought to be a thing that honors.

So here it is: On or around April 20th (if the doctor is guessing right) Johanna and I will welcome to the world our son, Hayden Russell Burleson. We both have always liked the name Hayden since we first heard it. I only know one guy with that as part of his name and he happens to be a pretty solid kid himself that loves the Lord. And the middle name is a name of honor.

So you came here just to read about the name and you got my whole thought process behind it. Maybe I should blog more regularly and I won't save up such long thoughts for one post. Let me leave you with this advice that's helped me a lot in my life: Remember whose name you carry. It might have been given to you as a show of honor.

No comments: