11.10.2009

20 Things I'm Thankful For - Day 2...

For the twenty days leading up to Thanksgiving weekend, I'm choosing to be grateful. Each day I'm sharing something that I'm thankful for. You can read about the idea behind this blog series by clicking here.

Today is day two of things I'm thankful for and today I am expressing thanks for The Barnes' Kids. Joe & Melanie Barnes are two of the great people on the team here at The Connection Church. They do a ton to serve here at TCC and make a difference and impact on the lives of people in our church and community. And they have two incredibly awesome kids!

I'm thankful for Joe & Melanie's children, Britney & Aaron and here's why: Because of how much love and generosity they show my son Hayden. Outside of our family, there may not be anybody who loves our son more than Britney and Aaron. Everytime we go over to the Barnes' home they want to hold him and play with him, without ever getting tired of it. They've given him the sweetest gifts ever too. Britney is learning to sew and she made Hayden a little blankie. Aaron has given Hayden one of his own teddy bears. Britney just recently won a game at our Trunk or Treat event where she got to pick out any stuffed animal she wanted. She came up to me and told me about how she won the game and then said this: "I wanted to win so bad so that I could pick out something for Hayden. So win I won I tried to think to myself, which one of those things would Hayden like?" Is that not awesome?!?! She then gave Hayden a little Winnie The Pooh bear that also had baby rattles attached to it.

Over the past few months God has been teaching me a lot about generosity. He's been working in my heart to make me more generous. And he's been using people to do it. Two of the people God has used most just happen to still be in elementary school! Britney and Aaron, if you read this I hope you know that Johanna, Hayden, and myself are very thankful for both of you and so grateful for all the love you show to Hayden.

Today...and every day...I'm thankful that God uses little kids, just like Britney & Aaron, to make me more of who He wants me to be.

What about you? Who are you thankful for today? Feel free to comment away.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is very sweet. Taylor still has a very small blanket that a five year old made her when she was about 14 months old. She still cherishes it. It's fun to think of that little 5 year old and her family every time I see it. That same girl is now a freshman in college. Her mom was a blessing to me.

Cheri Cotten

Melanie said...

I am sitting here with a big grin on my face and tears in my eyes. On those days when I am thinking "Now why did I ever think I wanted kids?"You remind me how special my kids are with all the kind things you say about them.

What a blessing you are!!!